Monday, October 11, 2010

Jimmy Wilson's "But God" story:

I was a freshman in college, when I realized that my life was going in the wrong direction.

My Dad had informed me when I was five that I would be attending Georgia Tech, and would become an aeronautical engineer, and ride with him to work everyday at Lockheed in Marietta.

But, after my first week at college, and after actually figuring out what an engineer is and what he does (I thought they drove trains!), I realized that my heart was not in my career pathway.

I did not know what to do, or where to go.  My college advisor was from another country, and could barely speak my language, so there was very little help, there. I joined a fraternity, but my "brothers" were experts in partying and little else.  There was no help there.  I continued to flounder as I knew more clearly day by day that I was on the wrong road, but did not know how to get off.

My aunt in California somehow knew that I was struggling.  She made a bold decision to be God's agent of reconciliation (2 Cor 5.18-20).  She engineered a huge "But God......." moment in my life.

She invited me to visit with my uncle and her in California during my summer break.  I did not know it then, but she and my uncle had prayed fervently that God would intervene powerfully in my life during my visit.  They planned a specific "God-encounter" for every day of my California trip.

My first day there included a stop in a huge church in Anaheim.  There, the Spirit of God moved so strongly that I was moved to surrender.  I had no doubt that I needed to get off the road I was on, and find God's pathway for my life.  The pastor invited us to a room to meet with a counselor, where I totally submitted my career, my relationships, and my life to Christ.

Even though I had trusted Christ as my Savior when I was eight years old, I had not been taught that every area of my life must come under His Lordship.  On that day my life was radically changed, and I have never been the same, Praise the Lord!

[ Submitted by Jimmy Wilson ]

No comments:

Post a Comment