Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Patty Rasmussen's "But God" Story:

"...For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus..." Romans 3:23

Before God entered our lives we were all on a spiritual dead end road. You may have heard of that road; I believe it's paved with "good intentions." "There is a way which seems right to a man but its end is the way of death." (Proverbs 14:12)   Good intentions never saved anyone's soul.   There is just one way to righteousness and Jesus described it, saying, "I am the way, the truth, the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." (John 14:6)

Don't like your options? Think it sounds harsh?

How's this for harsh...you create beings, give them everything they need to survive, a place to live, plentiful food, perfect climate, companionship, and a free will.   These beings you created show their gratitude by choosing to do the one thing you asked them not to do. You told them what would happen if they did the one thing and you are unable to go against your own word so you punish these beings. The beings know what they did was wrong but they did it anyway and know they have to be punished.   But you're really nice.   Yes, you punish, but you also give them a way to come back to you.   As with their disobedience, coming back has to be their decision but at least you're giving them an option.   So now who's being harsh?

How many second chances did you have before you came to know the Lord?   I dabbled around the edges for years, unwilling to give up my "freedom."   Finally I came to the end of myself.   I knew there was nothing I could do to work my way out of sin.   I had to lay my sin down before God because, as Creator, only He had the authority to absolve me of it. Romans 6:23 reads,"The wages of sin is death, but God's gift is eternal life."   Wages are something we earn, but a gift is freely given, no strings attached.   We either accept it or we don't.   I earned death, but God gave me life.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works so that no one may boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9) Even the faith to accept the gift of saving grace comes from God! How much more merciful and gracious could He be?

When we leave our old lives, as Abraham did leaving Ur, as Paul did when he was knocked of his horse on the Damascus Road, as I did when I said, "Yes, I believe that Christ died for my sins and that I have new life in Him," we are made alive.

Have you ever had the flu? I mean the just-go-away-and-let-me-suffer-alone kind of flu?   I have and I remember that once I got well I realized just how sick I had been.   I encourage you to remember the joy of your salvation

Soon after I became a believer I learned this verse, 2 Corinthians 5:17, "If any man is in Christ he is a new creature, the old things have passed away, behold new things have come."  How I love and cling to that verse when my former self wants to rear its ugly, sinful head.  (And it still does though with less frequency.)  I am a new creature!   I am not that rebellious woman who seeks to have her own way.   I am filled with the Holy Spirit.   I am redeemed, loved, forgiven.   And as Sanctus Real sings in their fantastic song, "I'm Forgiven," I don't have to carry the weight of who I've been, 'cause I'm forgiven!

Lord, thank You for loving me so much that You gave Your life for me.   Thank You for placing me on the right road, for paying the toll, and giving me a life of purpose, hopes, joy, and love.   Give me the passion to share the same saving love with the people around me, in Your name and by Your grace, Amen.

[ Submitted by Patty Rasmussen ]

No comments:

Post a Comment