Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bobbi Taylor's "But God" Story:


Prejudices are taught by parents, environment, friends, those in authority, and perhaps other sources.

I was born, raised, and educated in West Virginia; a mid-Atlantic state that existed under the black/white segregationist scenario.  We had separate schools, buses, restaurants, and other areas where we were separated by race.

It always bothered me but I complied.  I really had no choice.  Then came the 1954 Supreme Court ruling against segregation.  By 1955, all schools were opened to all races.  I was a 20 year old junior in college and I needed six extra semester hours because of changing my major. I was home for the summer and decided to take the opportunity to get my hours at the nearest college to my home.  I was enrolled as a full-time student at Marshall University with thousands of students - all white.  The college nearby was West Virginia State Teachers College - all black.

By the summer of 1955, schools were enrolling students of all races.  So I ventured onto a campus where 97% of students and all faculty were black.

In my 3% white minority, I was somewhat shaken.  I had never been a minority before.  I took two classes - one a United States History course which covered the Civil War period.  It was taught by a black professor with a marvelously sweet spirit - even as he taught what must have been a very painful era for him.  As I became acquainted with the school and its people, points of view, and general atmosphere, I grew more and more comfortable.

Upon my first visit to the Student Union, I was confronted with advertising posters - Marlboro cigarettes, Cokes, Music, etc.  But unlike my Student Union at Marshall, the models were all black.  It was quite startling.

As the days passed, I became at ease as a minority.  The sea of black faces on campus became my life and my friends.  With classes over daily, I would return home to a small vacation cabin on a West Virginia river, no neighbors, or friends - just my parents and the horses I cared for.  

When the time returned to resume my fall studies at Marshall, I arrived on campus and was totally in culture shock at the myriad of white faces.  But God, I felt, had made me black in my soul.  I am still in awe of this experience and am glad for it.  My heart will always be tender toward my fellow black friends and brothers and sisters in Christ.  I adore my three grandchildren, but, perhaps, Justin, age 11, is possibly my most revered.  He was adopted from the Atlanta Prison for Women, the son of two African Americans.  His father is unknown and his birth mother, too ill to keep him.  So at nine days of age, he came home with the Stephens and at age two, he was formally adopted.  He is a total joy, adding to my transplanted heart.

Ezekiel 11: 19, 20   "And I will give you one heart and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of your flesh, and give you a heart of flesh, that you may walk in my statutes, and keep my ordinances and do them, and you shall be my people and I will be your God."

May I share with you as a prayer a modern translation of Psalm 51:10 (Adapted by Rupp)

Create in me a clean heart, O God.  And put a new and right spirit within me.

Create in me a clear heart, open and receptive, so that I may embrace the many ways you choose to visit me today.

Create in me a clean heart; clear of the refuse of old battles with others and deadly opposition with myself.

Create in me a clear heart; purified through the daily disruptions and life encounters and takes me beyond my grasping control and egocenteredness.

Create in me a clean heart; freed from the clutter of cultural enticements, so that I can enjoy the beauty of life's simple things and relish the gifts I easily take for granted.

Create in me a clean heart, bathed from harsh thoughts, shame and perfectionist tendencies, warmly welcoming others with the embrace of non-judgmental acceptance.

Create in me a clean heart, brushed free of the frantic busyness so that I will have time to dwell with You in the listening space of solitude and silence.

Amen.

[ Submitted by:  Bobbi Taylor ]

No comments:

Post a Comment